Sunday, July 18, 2010

Toronto - New York...Just.

Our last day in Toronto was spent for me in the mall with my new mate Lisa and Zana went to Ajax to visit her relo's. I always thought Ajax was a cleaning aid, but apparently it is a suburb also... So Lisa and I returned to her apartment after a hard afternoon of shopping and thought why not have a beer?? A six pack later Zana returned from her 3 hour round trip with a lovely Toronto key holder that weighs 2kg to take home for her olds. By then Lisa and I were pretty much trashed and we decided to go to a bar. Due to the weather we got our hangovers before even arriving, Apparently when its 40 degrees you dehydrate just that much quicker...so our last night was an earlish one..
I awoke with apprehension as A. I didn't want air canada to lose my enormous bag, and B I didn't want air Canada to crash. There was not enough Valium in the world to calm my nerves, what sort of airline flys embraers for gods sake. 
Anyway after a tearful farewell to Lisa we made it to the airport 3 hours early. Lucky. Those bastards at air canada have a strict 23kg rule and were going to charge us $75 each for our overweight bags (thank god they don't weigh the passengers)..So a quick repack was in order and we ended up carrying a ton on in hand luggage.
None of this helped my ever frazzling nerves, something wasn't right I could feel it.
Anyway we finally board our tiny plane, and yes we are seated in the very back row. Great. The 3 Valiums had no effect at this stage. So we taxi, we take off and then boom the freakin plane starts lurching around and groaning, flinging from side to side as the crappy pilot tries to get the thing air born, Zana swears she saw a cloud slap us, then the engines die out, WTF at this point I am in tears and as near to a heart attack as I have ever been. By some miracle of god we finally make it into the sky. The rest of the flight was bumpy and I was unhappy. Even Zana was alarmed, and then they attempted to land the stupid thing. I started to hyperventilate and had to use the sick bag to breathe into so I didn't pass out, and by some other miracle we landed (with a freakin big BANG)!! NEVER fly air canada again (no offence Lisa) they are now on my banned list along with my mates at British airways...


Ahh New york, new york. What a place, our hotel is so hip that its not even signed, well not anywhere you can see it and resembles a very dark bar inside (it is a dark bar) it was apparently designed by the guy who did studio 54. Very glamorous, although our room somewhat resembles the cabin of a cruise ship...They put us on the top floor - as they obviously knew who we were!!


Now we just cant wait to explore!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post and I totally agree about not flying air canada!! :)

    ReplyDelete